Friday, March 26, 2010

The service challenge. Trying to decide which works best overall.

In general I have enjoyed the more laid back service in NZ, but it misses service (and revenue)  opportunities (like a second glass of wine or beer) and is a little lacking. I think one return trip to the table to check that everything is reasonable from all viewpoints
I also dislike the hurried, "feed them, and move them" on service that is so typical in the US. It is thinly disguised service and in reality about dollars per table.
I went out Monday for a simple pizza and a beer, and somehow my food order got screwed up, as they were very busy and in the end I was invited by some other folks to share theirs. The wait staff did not appear overly concerned and I eventually cancelled the food order and left. I sent a comment to the restaurant's website "contact us" address when I got back to my room, and had a response and apology the next morning before 9 am.
All is resolved and apologies accepted and I credit the owner with a fast and detailed response to a customer complaint.
He offered to shout me a couple of beers when I return
It overall raises the question of what is good service and how do we define it.
I do not like the hurried US approach where they are checking on you every 5 minutes and waiting to whip the plate away, but equally do not like having my food delivered with no follow up. There is certainly no pressure to vacate the table (which I like) but as I said earlier,maybe I would like a second glass of wine or beer and do not feel that I should have to go search that out.
This is not intended as a bitch session just a few observations.
Like everything in life there is a reasonable balance to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment