Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday. Travel to South Island



I just added a link to video of the Children's Day celebrations.
I enjoy ferry rides as you may know and today’s ride was yet another great experience with great views of Wellington as we left and then about an hour over open water before winding between some islands to approach Picton the ferry port for South Island and my destination for the day
The ferry is big at about 148 meters (compared to the Shetland ferries at 110 meters) and 13,600 tonnes gross tonnage. It cruises at 20 knots. I wrote the last paragraph on the ferry over open water, but the best was yet to come. As the ferry steams towards South island it looks like it is headed for the rocks and certain disaster, even on a clear day!
 
  
Ferry departs Wellington

The entrance to the Fjord is very small and you can see the turbulence in the water. The ferry heads for a patch of forest and there is a house just below it that has a fantastic view but must be difficult to get to. I am not even sure it has road access. It may just be by boat.

It is a beautiful day and the ride down the fjord was magical. The photos (or my ability to take good photos) do not begin to do it justice.
 
Mind the rocks!

Everyone was on deck and cameras a clicking!
 
I was worried that the small boat were Somali pirates coming to hijack us!


 

  
Picton harbor


One couple with 4 bags. Glad I travel relatively light

We wound our way eventually to Picton and arrived on time and there was a van to pick me up and drive to the hostel. Turned out it was about 300 meters and I could have walked it easily, as I had planned to do.
There was a festival going on in the park by the beach and it turns out that it is Children’s Day in NZ. Music, Bouncy castles and a very small beach along with ice cream seemed to be an excellent recipe for a fun day out.


Childrens Day video clip

.
 
 

The hostel is very pleasant and friendly, and the bus will stop outside to pick me up tomorrow afternoon.
I took a walk today and hope to do another in the morning. There should be plenty of time. I am learning to focus less on the schedule and more on having fun, which I certainly am. I keep waiting for a rainy day to do laundry and catch up with banking etc., but the weather is not cooperating!

No comments:

Post a Comment