Saturday, February 20, 2010

Travel Mumbai to Osaka, and initial Japan impressions


Wednesday was spent on the plane from Mumbai to Hong Kong with a tight connection to Osaka via Taiwan.
Looks like Tiawan is serious about the drug issue.

I arrived more or less on time with a good flight on Cathay Pacific. My bags made it to Hong Kong but were on the next flight to Osaka and showed up at Satyaki’s home on Thursday about lunchtime.
Satyaki met me at the airport and we took the 30 minute ferry ride across the bay and then home by car from there. Just a pity it was at night because I love ferries!
Thursday was a day to get caught up and post some updates on the blog. It is amazing how a fast connection can help uploading photos. I also did some much needed planning on the NZ portion of the trip as that is now very close. At least the first few days are settled.
Satyaki and his family (Snigtha, and the twins Rohit and Sneha who are 4) have a beautiful home in the hills above Osaka and Kobe, very spacious particularly for a Japanese home. The kids warmed up to me very quickly and I got a little one on one with Rohit when Snigdah took Sneha for her piano lesson in the afternoon.
When Satyaki got home from work we went out for a beer and something to eat at a tiny joint near the station about a mile from the house. I hear that there are lots of good hole in the wall type restaurants and nearly all are close to railroad stations. Satyaki,s grasp of Japanese is very impressive for someone who has only been here a short time, and ordering food and my train tickets was made much easier because of that. Thanks!!
















Satyaki works in the Akashi factory and walks to the station (about 15 minutes) and then about 30 minutes on the train and another 15 min walk if the company busses are not scheduled, He takes the 6.23 train and returns around 6.30 or 7 in the evening, often with a late night teleconference from his home. A tough schedule by any measure but not abnormal for an expat in Asia who has to coordinate with people back in the US.
I have done little planning for this portion of the trip and with advice from the family I am going to Kyoto tomorrow, and then probably to Hiroshima on Monday or Tuesday before heading to Tokyo.
Satyaki is running in the Tokyo marathon on the 28th, and I leave for New Zealand that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment