Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sunday. Travel day to Mumbai (Bombay)

Up and out of the door by 6.00 for the flight. The hotel driver took me to the airport which is actually not far from the hotel, albeit on the other side of a hill. We actually went around the end of the runway but were a couple of hundred feet above it. That confirmed my belief that it was a one way in and one way out airport for jets at least. Because of the big hill the planes land to the east and depart from the west where normally landings and take offs are in the same direction. Probably only of interest to aviators!!
Met a pleasant couple in the airport waiting to board. They are from Hyderabad and were there on vacation. He works for the Central Bank and she works for a Financial newspaper. Good conversation about the financial crisis and other things. She has a sister who lives in Smryna GA about 15 miles from my kids!!
I was asked by them to visit Northern India on my next trip and to be their guest in Hyderabad if I came there! The amazing thing is that they absolutely meant it. That is one of the fascinations with this country. If I emailed them and said I was coming to Hyderabad I know they would have me to stay with them, all based on a 20 minute conversation in the airport!
Flights went well and Adrian and Alex met me at the Mumbai airport. I have not seen Adrian for about 10 years, and had not met Alex at all but we spent the afternoon and evening getting caught up. They have a very nice apartment and will be here for Adrian’s work for probably another 12 months or so. Adrian’s Mum and I have been friends since we were about 10, although we did not get along very well to begin with! Adrian’s Dad and I went to college together but I have seen less of him over the years than Jackie and Adrian’s sister Cleone.
Having finally got a SIM card and a working phone in Chennai and Andamar, it does not work in Mumbai. Back to Vodaphone I suspect on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment